Your Social Security benefits are under attack by politicians in Washington. They want to:
- Cut Social Security’s Cost-of-Living Adjustment (COLA) to reduce the deficit. But Social Security doesn’t contribute a penny to the deficit.
- Raid Social Security by using your contributions to give a tax break to Wall Street banks, Big Oil and other corporations.
They shouldn’t get another taxpayer handout. Social Security belongs to you. You pay for it in every paycheck. Don’t let them cut it or raid it!
Call both Senator Reid’s office and Senator Heller’s office on Thursday and/or Friday, July 14-15.
- Senator Reid: 1-866-SEN-REID (736-7343) [calls accepted only from 775 & 702 area codes]
- Senator Heller: 202-224-6244
- NO cuts to Social Security!
- NO cuts to Social Security’s COLA!
- NO Social Security payroll tax holiday!
I’ve already written twice and called once, but I’ll be calling again to let them know that Social Security does not and has not contributed to the budget deficit, nor has it contributed to the burgeoning national debt. It is not allowable to raid the funds we’ve contributed throughout our lifetimes, expecting to receive some benefit in the future, only to find that they’ve been pillaged and left us with dramatically lower benefits or worse, nothing at all.
I was married to a wonderful man for 29 years. He was self-employed and thus had to contribute both the employee and employer contributions to Social Security. That was money that went to Social Security and not into our household coffers. He passed on at 59 and I remarried at the age of 54, before reaching the magic age of 60. That means that I have to forfeit any claim to his social security. So, as far as I’m concerned, I’ve already forfeited enough and they just can’t have any more!
Call their offices this Thursday or Friday and tell them your story, why you think raiding Social Security is a bad idea and what consequences it will have on your vote at the polls next year.