Douglas County Democratic Central Committee
2018 Platform Proposals by Category
- We support strong border security and the funding necessary for personnel,
equipment and devices to ensure security without a border wall.
- We support DACA.
Taxation, Jobs and Economy
- We propose that the Democratic Party shall focus on fiscal responsibility.
- We support the Trans Pacific Partnership and the Trans-Atlantic Trade and
- We support creating and funding jobs that tap into resources, such as
alternative energy, eco-tourism, technology and science.
- We oppose tolls used as infrastructure funding.
- We support infrastructure funding by additional federal funding and fuel tax.
- We support repeal of the Republican 2017 Tax Bill.
- We support education and training opportunities for all Americans including
creation of specialized technical training programs in High Schools.
- We recommend subsidizing medical education and training.
- We oppose school vouchers.
- We oppose privatization of the prison system, including parole and probation
- We oppose civil asset seizure without a conviction by any government entity.
- We support safe and affordable housing for seniors, veterans and others on
- We support increased funding for county-level mental health care, that
includes housing, recovery treatment and support.
- We support a Medicare bill that includes vision and dental for all.
- We support women’s reproductive rights.
- We support Roe v Wade
Workers’ Rights and Unionization
- We support an increase in the minimum wage to a livable wage.
- We support paid sick and family leave for all workers.
Environment and Energy
- We support protecting science-based environmental safeguards and laws.
- We support expanding recycling and promoting composting programs to
reduce waste in landfills.
- We support increasing energy conservation by encouraging all sectors,
industry, commercial and residential, to implement energy efficiency
- We support promoting the installation of electric car charging stations.
- We encourage preserving local farmland, open space, land and water
protections and scenic values.
- We support alternative energy development, such as roof-top solar and wind
projects, without compromising habitat on public lands.
- We support local distribution of produce through farmers markets and
county sponsored food hubs.
- We recommend maintaining and funding the EPA at pre-2017 levels.
- We recommend legislation that Nevada utilities obtain at least 75% of energy
from renewable resources.
Elections and Government
- We support overturning Citizens United to the extent it allows unlimited
funding by corporations to certain political campaigns.
- We oppose enactment of the Financial CHOICE Act (Creating Hope and
Opportunity for Investors, Consumers and Entrepreneurs) as passed by the
House of Representatives.
- We support providing funding for voter machines that have paper backup to
assure that our recounted votes can be counted and verified by paper, and
that every vote counts.
- We believe that freedom of the press is a fundamental element of a strong
- We support a federal shield law to protect reporters from punishment for
refusing to reveal sources.
- We recommend that a bipartisan, independent panel, draw congressional
districts in all states.
- We believe that our democratic principles should remain the bedrock of our
- We support automatic voter registration for all eligible citizens.
- We oppose voter roll purging of any eligible voter for failing to vote.
- We support the repeal of the Dickey amendment, which bars the study of
gun violence by the Centers for Disease Control.
- No guns should be allowed on or near any school except for those carried by
sworn peace officers.
- We recommend reinstating the 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban.
- We recommend that all gun sales must require enhanced background
- We oppose reciprocal concealed carry between states.
- We recommend licensing for all firearms ownership.
- We support strengthening our commitment to NATO.
- We recommend intelligent negotiation with North Korea.
- We oppose moving the US embassy in Israel to Jerusalem.