The Democratic Party Credo
From the charter of the Democratic Party of the United States
We Democrats are the oldest political party in America and the youngest in spirit. We will remain so, because we enjoy the challenge of government. Time and again for almost two centuries, the Democratic Party has made government work—to build and defend a nation, to encourage commerce, to educate our children, to promote equal opportunity, to advance science and industry, to support the arts and humanities, to restore the land, to develop and conserve our human and natural resources, to preserve and enhance our built environment, to relieve poverty, to explore space. We have reached difficult and vital goals.
We recognize the capacity of government is limited but we regard democratic government as a force for good and a source of hope. At the heart of our party lies a fundamental conviction that Americans must not only be free, but they must live in a fair society. We believe it is the responsibility of government to help us achieve this fair society.
- A society where the elderly and the disabled can lead lives of dignity and where Social Security remains an unshakeable commitment;
- A society where all people can find jobs in a growing full-employment economy;
- A society where all workers are guaranteed without question the legal right to join unions of their own choosing and to bargain collectively for decent wages and conditions of employment;
- A society where taxes are clearly based on ability to pay;
- A society where the equal rights of women are guaranteed in the Constitution;
- A society where the civil rights of minorities are fully secured and where no one is denied the opportunity for a better life;
- A society where both public and private discrimination based upon race, sex, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, ethnic identity, sexual orientation, economic status, philosophical persuasion or physical disability are condemned and where our government moves aggressively to end such discrimination through lawful means;
- A society where we recognize that the strengthening of the family and the protection of children are essential to the health of the nation;
- A society where a sound education, proper nutrition, quality medical care, affordable housing, safe streets and a healthy environment are possible for every citizen;
- A society where a strong national defense is a common effort, where promoting human rights is a basic value of our foreign policy, and where we ensure the future by ending the nuclear arms race.
We hope you will participate in our efforts.
EXECUTIVE BOARD MEMBERS
The Douglas County Democratic Central Committee board members for 2017 are listed below.
|1st Vice Chair||Joan Neuffer|
|2nd Vice Chair||Susan Minor|
|Member at Large||Open|
|Member at Large||Pat Stanley|
STANDING COMMITTEES CHAIRS
|Administration Chair||Katherine Winans|
|Program/Policy Chair||Kimi Cole|
|Membership/Candidate Recruitment||Katherine Winans|
|Publicity/PR contact||Pat Stanley|